&
strategically removing buildings - Aldo van Eycks playground Zeedijk
2010

For centuries the Zeedijk has been a long narrow street. In 1944 two adjacent buildings in the street have been demolished. Until 1956 this vacant site has been closed of by a blind wall. From 1956-1958 this wall was removed and the entire site was used as a public playground, designed by Aldo van Eyck. The narrow street was temporarily widened. In the He Hua buddhistic temple, which was built in 2000, part of this success was incorporated. The temple itself was placed back five meters from the street, maintaining the widening of the Zeedijk. Strategically removing (parts of) a building is an underused urban instrument. In regions, where the population is shrinking, the importance of unbuilding will only increase.


S03
PDF
 
Kerkstraat 310
1017 HC Amsterdam
t: 020.672.4875
© 2008 na-ma architecture